As budgets get tighter and tighter, more people are taking a break from the spa to explore affordable options in skin care— many of which can be done in the comfort of one’s own home. On-the-go sheet masks, run-of-the-mill pantry items, and various handheld gadgets for cleansing, toning, and microdermabrasion promise the same results as professional skin care for less.
Considering the growing number of budget-friendly alternatives to professional skin care, many are wondering if at-home treatments are just as effective as those provided at the spa. Check out the pros and cons we’ve considered for each experience:
- Convenience: Who could pass up the opportunity to treat themselves to a quality facial without having to pay spa prices? What’s more— you don’t need to schedule an appointment. An hour of spare time presents the perfect opportunity for a DIY pampering session.
- Simplicity: A vast array of gadgets, gels, and creams are available in the marketplace, but the best way to maintain skin health at home is to adopt a simple and consistent regimen. Try using a Vitamin C serum each morning and retinol at night. Retinol contains Vitamin A, which can help to detoxify the skin, treat acne, and protect your skin from certain conditions. Vitamin C is known to brighten the skin, reduce inflammation and irritation, and boost collagen production (great news for those in search of an anti-aging solution!) Used daily, each of these components can help you adequately treat and nourish your skin at home.
- Consistency: Without a regular spa membership, it might be difficult to make time for routine treatments. At-home treatments allow you to maintain a regimen that’s flexible enough to suit your busy schedule. With such a convenient care plan, you can ensure that you’re making progress in the pursuit of your skin care goals.
Professional Skin Care
- Expertise: Skin care professionals have enough experience to know what works best, depending on your skin type. They also have a wider range of products to choose from. Spa-grade facials often include a more extensive process, including deep cleansing and steaming. Whereas at-home treatment might require you to purchase three products for three separate skin care goals, a professional service provides comprehensive care with products that are guaranteed to suit your needs.
- Extractions: Additionally, professional services are ideal for certain skin conditions that would best benefit from extractions. Extractions should only ever be performed by a pro in order to prevent scarring. After getting a spa facial or professional exfoliation treatment, you will notice that your skin has a radiant look for a longer time than DIY facials.
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels help maintain skin health and integrity. They also help progressively target your specific skin care goals, such as dark spots, anti-aging, and retexturization, as well as acne, prolonged redness/inflammation and sun damage reversal. Only a licensed practitioner, such as an esthetician, nurse or physician, should perform chemical peels.
Maintenance: Seasons change, and so does your skin! Many people find it useful to get a professional facial at least once per month to assess weather-related changes, as well as those caused by hormones, dietary patterns, or other lifestyle adjustments. Consulting with a pro will also help you get a better sense of which products to keep or shelf as your skin’s needs evolve.
So, which is “better?”
We like to compare our medical-grade facials to that of a dental cleaning. Even if you brush and floss faithfully, you need thorough care and professional insight from your dentist to help you maintain optimal oral health. Likewise, a bi-annual visit to the dentist means nothing if a patient has poor dental habits at home.
Particularly, for those with skin care needs like acne, hyper pigmentation, psoriasis, eczema, or rosacea, we recommend supplementing home care with a professional consultation at least once per month. You can carry out your at-home regimen with confidence, knowing that you’re working together with a skilled professional to achieve your skin care goals. Consider complementing DIY care with a monthly spa visit, and you’ll be well on your way to clear, healthy skin.
Routine spa services don’t have to break the bank – click here to learn about how our member discount programs help spa-goers save money.